ARCA offers state-of-the-art appliance recycling services designed to guarantee that every appliance collected through energy efficiency programs is fully demanufactured. This includes ensuring all hazardous materials and components are removed, stored, transported and disposed of in a responsible manner in accordance with federal, state and local rules and regulations.
The environmental benefits from recycling appliances include:
- Safe management of hazardous materials.
- Reduction of energy consumption.
- Reduction of emissions of ozone-depleting substances and greenhouse gases.
- Prevention of release of PCBs, mercury, batteries and oil.
- Reduction of materials entering landfills.
- Recovering of scrap metal and other recyclables.
Appliance recycling programs prevent many million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2 eq.) greenhouse gases:
- Indirectly by reducing the energy consumed by older operating energy-guzzling appliances and by creating new raw materials for manufacturing.
- Directly by preventing the release of refrigerants and foam-blowing agents into the atmosphere.